Admissions & Referrals
From An Acute Care Hospital
If a patient in an acute care hospital needs rehabilitation, the referral process is as follows:
- A physician, case manager, or other clinician from the acute care hospital can request that a patient be evaluated by a New England Rehabilitation Hospital Liaison. A patient or family member could also ask for their case manager to make a referral.
- The liaison conducts a comprehensive screening to determine if the patient meets the admission criteria for acute rehabilitation. The screening includes a chart review, discussion with healthcare personnel, and a meeting with the patient and/or family to address pertinent information, concerns, and questions.
- A screening summary is sent to New England Rehabilitation Hospital's Admitting Office to verify insurance coverage and, if necessary, obtain prior authorization from the insurance company.
- The next available (appropriate) bed is offered to the patient. Often, this process occurs within hours but may be extended if awaiting authorization from the insurance company.
Admission from the community
Some patients are admitted to New England Rehabilitation Hospital directly by their physician, from home, or community agencies.
An admission from the community can be done through the following steps:
- Call the Admitting Office (781-939-1875), and inform them that this is a "direct admit" from physician's office, home, or community agency.
- Fax the following patient information to the Admitting Office (781-935-8637):
- Demographics (insurance information)
- Medications List
- Recent physician notes
- Most recent nursing notes
- Most recent therapy notes
A New England Rehabilitation Hospital Liaison will review the information to make a determination if the patient meets acute rehabilitation admission criteria, the next available (appropriate) bed is offered to the patient. Often this process occurs within hours but may be extended awaiting authorization from the inurance company. If a patient is being admitted from the community the family is responsible to make arrangements for transportation to include car, ambulance or chair car.
Rehabilitation is covered in full or part by most health insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid. New England Rehabilitation Hospital has contracts with most major insurance companies and is willing to negotiate with other companies as needed.
Family & Visiting
At New England Rehabilitation Hospital, a patient's family is an integral part of the rehabilitation process. In fact, we consider them part of the patient's rehabilitation team. We strongly encourage family participation in the rehabilitation process.
Our staff provides ongoing education to help you and your family understand your diagnosis, promote your continued good health and prepare for your return to community.
Visitors are welcome from