Balance Training and Fall Prevention Center
- Have you had a fall or near fall recently?
- Do you have a fear of falling?
- Do you feel unsteady on your feet?
- Does your balance prevent you from doing the things you enjoy?
- Do you have vertigo, high blood pressure, neuropathy or visual impairments?
If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, please
join us for a fall screening and see what
our SAFE STEPS Balance Training and Fall Prevention
Program can offer you. A licensed physical therapist
will assess your risk for falls and provide you with
educational materials and valuable resources to help
you on your way to better balance.
New England Rehabilitation Hospital has developed the Balance Training and Fall Prevention Center to reduce
or eliminate fall risks in patients who present with a history of falls or near falls. Research indicates the incidence
and risk of falls in older adults can be dramatically reduced through a regimen of exercise, therapeutic activities,
education and training.
Each patient will receive a comprehensive evaluation including a battery of field tests
assessing balance, gait and risk of falling. Central to each patient evaluation is the
identification of causative factors contributing to a patient's history of falls or near falls
to include muscle weakness, poor endurance, coordination or balance, decrease
proprioception, gait deviations or vision difficulty.
What types of patients are commonly treated at the Balance Training and Fall Prevention Center?
- Generalized Deconditioning / frail elderly
- Anyone with a known fall history
- Musculoskeletal Dysfunction
- Total Joint Replacement / Fractures
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Vestibular Dysfunction
- Parkinson's Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Traumatic Brain Injury
Balance Training and Fall Prevention Screening Dates:
Call 781-939-1989 to schedule an appointment
- Fall risk assessment and treatment using the Biodex SD4 Balance Trainer
- Gait training
- Assistive/adaptive device prescription and training
- Core trunk and extremity strengthening
- Flexibility training
- Vestibular rehabilitation
- Balance and proprioceptive training
- Home safety education and assessment
- Orthotic and footwear prescription
Patient education and home safety are key
considerations when developing a comprehensive
balance and fall prevention treatment plan. At New
England Rehab's Balance Training and Fall Prevention
Center, a comprehensive home assessment tool
will be completed on each patient. Management
of home safety concerns is incorporated into the
patient's plan of care through education, treatment
and coordination of community based resources.
Other resources available to our patients are:
- Discount Lifeline® services
- A directory of reputable contractors who
perform home modifications
- Area assistive/adaptive equipment vendors
- Post-discharge "balance class"
- Orthotic fabrication and management
- Educational lectures on fall-related topics
How Do I Make A Referral?
For more information, or to make an appointment, please call 781-939-1900.
Appointments are available Monday thru Friday from 7am to 6 pm. All major
insurances are accepted.