Medically Complex Rehabilitation Program
The Medically Complex Rehabilitation Program at New England Rehabilitation Hospital offers a continuum of services for individuals who have experienced a functional decline in the presence of complex medical problems. We take great care to ease the transition from the patient's acute care hospital to our inpatient rehabilitation hospital and eventually back into their community.
The Rehabilitation Team Consists of:
- Physiatrist (a physician who specializes in physical medicine and rehabilitation)
- 24-Hour Rehabilitation Nurses
- Occupational Therapist
- Physical Therapist
- Speech Language Pathologist
- Case Manager
- Benefits specialist
- Other medical specialities to include;
- Infectious Disease Specialist
- Wound Specialist
The patient and family are an integral part of the treatment team.
New England Rehabilitation Hospital's expert medical and therapeutic staff utilizes a team treatment approach to:
- Simultaneously address patients' medical and functional needs
- Assist patients in reaching their maximum level of independence
- Educate and provide support to the patient and family
The Medically Complex Rehabilitation Program includes:
- A multidisciplinary treatment team of medical and rehabilitation specialist co-lead by Internal Medicine and Physiatry
- Consulting Medical Specialties that may include Psychiatry, Neurology, Neuropsychology and wound care.
- 24-Hour Rehabilitation nursing to address wound management, pain management, reinforce acquired functional skills, to assist with education of the patient and family
- Intensive and Individualized, goal-oriented treatment plans
- Functional Approach to Activities of Daily Living and Community Re-entry
- Specialized insurance benefits coordination and management
- Family conferences, education and support
- Comprehensive case management discharge planning
- Hand therapy
- Nutritional management
- Driving Evaluation Clinic
- Availability of State-of-the-art rehabilitation technology to include
- Bioness H200 and L300
- Theraputic Pool
- Availability of our network of outpatient rehabilitation centers for continued continuity of care following discharge
Benefits Management and Coordination
An illness or injury may affect a person's capacity for returning to work. If one of our patients is likely to be unable to return to work for a short or extended period, New England Rehabilitation Hospital offers the services of a Benefits Specialist to help the patient and family with practical matters of income replacement and health insurance concerns. The Benefits Specialist addresses such matters as: filing for Family and Medical Leave, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Social Security Disability, MassHealth and COBRA assistance. The Benefits Specialist is also able to address social concerns of emergency aid for those persons who may not have worked prior to the injury or illness.
New England Rehabilitation Hospital recognizes the importance of assisting patients back to their homes, communities and places of work. The benefits service is dedicated to achieving those goals by helping patients and families navigate through disability benefits systems and by providing support to patients and families as they go through this often difficult and confusing process. Many patients have commented that they would not have known "where to begin" and that this service completes their overall rehabilitation.
New England Rehab Offers Elder Assist Clinic
New England Rehabilitation Hospital in conjunction with the Senior Resource Center (SRC) now offers complimentary, weekly Elder Assist Clinics in Woburn. These pre-registered private appointments with SRC's Eldercare Nurse Attorneys help patients and their families with important issues, to include:
- How to pay for current and long term health care needs
- How to protect your home and your hard assets
- Advice on estate planning
These clinics serve as a bridge in helping New England Rehabilitation Hospital patients and their families deal with transition needs for a safe and timely discharge home, to a skilled nursing facility, or an assisted living facility.
Senior Resource Center, Inc. is a full-service eldercare planning advisory group, supporting seniors and their families throughout Massachusetts, and southern New Hampshire.