Amputee Rehabilitation Program
New England Rehabilitation Hospital's Amputee Rehabilitation Program offers the clinical, technical, and professional resources necessary to provide individualized treatment and promote progress toward an independent lifestyle. The program provides an intensive interdisciplinary team approach to the rehabilitation of patients who have sustained amputation or have undergone vascular surgery. Our program offers a seamless transition from acute hospitalization through inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation to home. Patients can be admitted for gait training directly from home once they have received their prosthesis. Qualified patients must want to achieve maximum independence at the wheelchair or ambulatory level and have a desire to minimize the need for assistance in activities of daily living.
The program's primary goals are to:
- Maximize patients' potential for independence and mobility
- Restore patient confidence and vitality
- Facilitate their adjustment to loss, discomfort, and disability
The Amputee Rehabilitation Program Team Includes
- Comprehensive Medical Management co-lead by Internist and Physiatrist
- Medical Specialists to include:
- Infectious Disease Specialist
- Wound Care Specialists
- 24-Hour Rehabilitation Nursing Care
- Physical Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech and Language Pathologist
- On-site Orthotic and Prosthetic Clinic
- Case Management
- Benefits Specialists
- Comprehensive Interdisciplinary Team approach to help patients regain the highest level of independence possible
- Meticulous follow through regarding the referring vascular surgeons individualized patient protocols
- 24-Hour Rehabilitation nursing to reinforce acquired functional skills, to assist with education of the patient and family
- Our on-site prosthetic team produces highly functional and comfortable prosthetics
- Emotional support/psychological counseling in an individual, private setting
- Patient and family education meets regularly to provide peer support to patients and their families. Education focuses on education of vasculiarity of the LE, education on skin inspections, use of lambs wool and creams for wound avoidance, use of adaptive equipment when appropriate, about prosthetics, and functional tasks at home.
- Skin and Wound Care Management
- Driving Evaluation Clinic
- Therapeutic pool
- Availablilty of our network of outpatient rehabilitation centers for continued continuity of care following discharge.
- With over 15+ years of experience in gait training adult patients with numerous types of prostheses
- Our prosthetic services enable patients to receive their prosthesis and have adjustments made quickly, thus minimizing time lost from therapy and recovery
Benefits Management and Coordination
An illness or injury may affect a person's capacity for returning to work. If one of our patients is likely to be unable to return to work for a short or extended period, New England Rehabilitation Hospital offers the services of a Benefits Specialist to help the patient and family with practical matters of income replacement and health insurance concerns. The Benefits Specialist addresses such matters as: filing for Family and Medical Leave, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Social Security Disability, MassHealth and COBRA assistance. The Benefits Specialist is also able to address social concerns of emergency aid for those persons who may not have worked prior to the injury or illness.
New England Rehabilitation Hospital recognizes the importance of assisting patients back to their homes, communities and places of work. The benefits service is dedicated to achieving those goals by helping patients and families navigate through disability benefits systems and by providing support to patients and families as they go through this often difficult and confusing process. Many patients have commented that they would not have known "where to begin" and that this service completes their overall rehabilitation.
New England Rehab Offers Elder Assist Clinic
New England Rehabilitation Hospital in conjunction with the Senior Resource Center (SRC) now offers complimentary, weekly Elder Assist Clinics in Woburn. These pre-registered private appointments with SRC’s Eldercare Nurse Attorneys help patients and their families with important issues, to include:
- How to pay for current and long term health care needs
- How to protect your home and your hard assets
- Advice on estate planning
These clinics serve as a bridge in helping New England Rehabilitation
patients and their families deal with transition needs for a safe
and timely discharge home, to a skilled nursing facility, or an
assisted living facility.
Senior Resource Center, Inc. is a full-service eldercare planning advisory group, supporting seniors and their families throughout Massachusetts, and southern New Hampshire.